Wednesday, May 6, 2009

Jivalaga, Rahile re door ghar maaze...

Being Marathi is an incredible source of joy for me... Access to poetry, music, literature that gives the highest inspiration. Here is one such song that brings together three divine talents... I have loved it for a long time. Thus far, I resisted singing in fear of not doing it justice. Finally, couldn't stop myself from at least an attempt. I still have ways to go even in acquiring all the little (and big) twists and turns of notes that Asha manages so effortlessly... let alone expressing the essence of the song. But here goes anyway. In Marathi--"prayatna karayla dhajatey."

Aditi's attempt at Jivalaga Rahile Re Door Ghar Mazhe

Original Song on Youtube

Music Director: Pandit Hridaynath Mangeshkar
Lyricist: Shanta Shelke
Singer: Asha Bhosale

jivalaga rahile re door ghar maze
paul thakle mathyawarche jad zale oze
[Oh my love... My house is far away, feet tired and the burden on my shoulders feels heavy.]

kirr bolate ghan wanrai, sanj sabhoti datuni yei
sukhsumnanchi sarali maya pachola waje
[The dense forests speak, and the evening darkness deepens from all sides. The illusion of blossoms fades and all one hears is their dried crackle.

gaav magacha mage padala, paitali path timiri budala
hi ghatakechi sute sarai mitale darwaje
[The last village is left behind, and the path below my feet is drowned in darkness. As I leave the resting place, the doors close.]

niradhar mi, mi wanwasi, gheshil kenva maj hridayashi
tuch ekala, tuch ekala nath anatha mahima taw gaje
[I am without support, exiled in the woods. When will you take me in your arms? You are the only one, the protector of those without protection, your glory is everywhere.]

14 comments:

Unknown said...

Well sung :-)

VS said...

Adiiti,
I heard your rendition of Jivalaga, and it twisted and turned my heart with the beautiful sounds of longing that you produced!
And to add the clear pronunciation of the words, I downloaded your version,so that I can practice.
Great job!
Vanita

Aditi said...

Thank you, Aniruddha and Vanita. I visit the blog rarely these days and had not seen your comments.

Unknown said...

Landed on this page while searching for the meaning of this song. Not the meaning of the words, but what they are implying. Marathi is my mother tongue, and I found most of the English translations are too literal.
I think the Jivalaga here is Death. After a long life, she is weary and life has become a burden. Now she is imploring death to come hold her in its arms...
Of course, I could be completely wrong!
Btw, you sing well.

UV said...

Very well sung by you Aditi, superb rendition. and thanks for English translation..Guess Unknown above seems to have given one good meaning..on Oct 21 2015

Yes it would be great to get the implied context and meaning too..

UV said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
UV said...

Oh your meaning of death expressed by this song lyrics set such a deep context for me.. Especially having seen few of my close ones havung fought in bed for 5 to 7years before clinging on to death... It made me so emotional...

Unknown said...

Another meaning context could be a person who after running behind blossoms/sense pleasures in life now sees them as illusory / transitory. He is now drawn to the one Creator however finds the path shrouded in darkness. Now it is entirely wilderness and he is praying to that creator his only true lover and the only real one who has any power to take him in his embrace.

Mangesh said...

Well sung. Powerful meaning and sensitive comments... Just thinking: Would Shanta Shelke have left behind some thoughts on this composition? What could have led her to pen this classic of the 60s? ? Her friends may have something to share.

Unknown said...

Wonderful translation. Thank you so much for making the effort and sharing this. I was trying to explain the song to a friend and Marathi just cannot be easily translated to English. Even though I am a native speaker I was struggling. Also, I realised that the bhavarth and matitarth become so tangled with what particular word is used for a noun or verb (thats great poetry of course)

Your translation came up thanks to Google devi and rescued me.

Pradeep Hatkanagalekar said...

I understand Jeevalaga as God. Not death. Death is little morbid, though both may imply end of life.

A said...

Loved reading the comments and thank you for translating. I am not a Marathi native speaker but being married into a Marathi family has given such immense joy to me through gems like this and the beautiful culture.

Unknown said...

Wow!, listening to Ashaji singing this is ultimate. But when any music lover wants to give their heartfelt best & succeed in bringing out similar emotions in the listeners body,mind& spirit, then the pleasure is something else all together!!!And Aditi, I am sure your version is also aroused similar feelings in me & all other listeners in this forum. Thank you very much. Now requesting if you can also try singing Ashajis another masterpiece bhavgeet.."Raadha Krishnavari....' which also is my favourite.👋👋🙏

megha said...

Yes u r right...by jivlaga the auther implies here the god or parmatma to which a tired life is yearning to get united...yes it is wanting the death(god) to embrace her and relive her from the difficulties and burdens of fag end of life